According to a Johns Hopkins University study, "never events", or events that should never happen in surgery, occur at least 4,000 times each year in the United States.
New analysis shows that medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US, resulting in at least 250,000 deaths each year. This means that 10% of all deaths in the country are due to preventable medical errors. Anesthesia errors in New York, are one of these preventable medical mistakes.
An anesthesia error is a mistake that an anesthesiologist, doctor, or other medical professional makes during surgery. This error could be too little anesthesia, too much anesthesia or any other mistake that can be made due to lack of proper care.
Common Types of Anesthesia Errors in New York
Some of the most common anesthesia errors in New York or mistakes made during surgery include the following:
- Administering excessive amounts of one or more types of anesthetic drugs
- Delayed anesthetic delivery
- Failure to provide the patient with proper instructions, like not drinking or eating prior to surgery
- Administering a lower dose of one or more anesthetic drugs, also known as anesthesia awareness
- Administering the wrong anesthesia drug
- Failure to prevent anesthesia interactions, e.g. with prescription drugs
- Failure to properly monitor the patient or administer oxygen during surgery
- Administering anesthesia to a patient who is allergic
- Use of defective equipment and devices while administering anesthesia
If you suffer complications due to anesthesia errors made during your surgery, you should file a medical malpractice lawsuit against the negligent medical professional or hospital. You can hire an experienced medical malpractice lawyer to protect your rights and ensure that you receive suitable compensation for your injuries.
Possible Complications and Injuries Caused by Anesthesia Mistakes in New York
When anesthesia errors in New York are made, they can potentially cause serious complications and injuries, including:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Postoperative pain
- Temporary mental confusion or delirium
- Damage to the larynx and/or sore throat
- Tooth damage due to the intubation (placing of the breathing tube) during the procedure
- Anaphylaxis, or serious allergic reaction from the anesthesia
- Respiratory difficulties
- Brain damage caused by lack of oxygen
- Nerve injury
- Heart attack
- Blood clots
- Anesthesia awareness, which means that the patient regains consciousness while the procedure is performed
As you can see, there are quite a number of complications that can result from anesthesia errors in New York, some of which can be quite serious. Fortunately, the more serious complications of these mistakes are relatively rare.
Get Legal Help for Anesthesia Errors in New York
If you or a loved one has suffered complications or injury due to anesthetic error, you should immediately contact a prolific and innovative medical malpractice lawyer at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff, & Wolff of RMFW Law at 212 697 9280.
A Law Firm that is Righteous
After reviewing your documents and records, your legal professional will determine if you have a viable case to pursue a medical malpractice claim or lawsuit. If you do, your legal representative will advise you on the best course of action to take and start the process to file a medical malpractice suit on your behalf so you can obtain fair compensation from the at-fault party.
Do not scream at the hospital staff. It is not their fault and you may need one of them on your side months down the road. The person who most likely made the mistake is gone and the hospital will not allow this person near you anymore. You need a medical expert to back up your claim or you do not have a case. It is that simple. We know how this works and we know who to call. But you need to call us first.
RMFW Law charges you nothing up front. We only win if you win. We have won big money for past clients and you too can be on this sterling list. Call us now!