This is a shocking incident of medical malpractice, where a young man undergoes a regular hernia operation and ends up dead, due to reasons not directly connected with the surgery. This young individual was advised by his doctor to walk through the door for hernia surgery, since it was the best treatment for his condition. The person agrees to the surgery, and he is admitted to a reputed hospital in New York. The surgery proceeds without any complications, and is done in an excellent manner.

How did the Young Patient End up Dead?

Even though the surgery went on without any complications and the surgeon did an excellent job, the patient ended up dead. It was later found out that the anesthesiologist had administered excessive amounts of anesthesia during the course of the operation. Due to this, there was a major issue, and at the conclusion of the surgery, the anesthesiologist tried to wake the patient up, and was not able to do so. He started to give medications to the patient for reserving the anesthesia effects, but he was not successful.

Inadequate Observation Procedure

The young patient was found to be extremely groggy after the surgical procedure. This is highly unusual for such a procedure, as the surgery required a very short time to be performed. Since the surgery was performed in the late afternoon, the anesthesiologist decided to keep the patient overnight for observation. However, they did not connect an EKG monitor or any other device that would alert the nurses in the nursing station that something was terribly wrong.

The anesthesiologist idea of observing the patient was to check on him, once in four hours. When the doctor went to check on him the first time after he was brought into the observation room, the patient was already dead. The patient was not breathing and did not have a heart rate. The doctors tried to resuscitate the patient, but were unsuccessful in their attempts and the patient was ultimately confirmed to be dead.

How was Medical Malpractice Revealed?

Only when the autopsy was done, it came to light for the first time that this young patient had died due to a massive overdose of anesthesia. Additionally, the medication doses given to the patient to reverse the effects of the anesthesia were also improper and insufficient. Lastly, the hospital also failed to keep the patient under proper observation when he was found to be extremely tired and not fully alert after the surgery. The hospital did not hook the patient on to any device that would alert the hospital staff that his heart had stopped or he had stopped breathing. No device was connected to monitor his vital signs, and the anesthesiologist came to check on the patient after four hours.

This was an obvious case of medical malpractice, as the anesthesiologist had not only given the wrong does of anesthesia for the particular surgery, but also was unable to reverse the effects of the high dose with medications. Secondly, the hospital was also at fault, since no proper procedure was followed, when the patient was kept under observation.


122 East 42nd Street Suite 3800
New York, NY 10168

Tel: 212-LAWYERS

Tel: 212-697-9280



8900 Sutphin Blvd Suite 501
Queens, NY 11435

Tel: (718) 399-3100

*By Appointment Only



220-226 E 161st Street
The Bronx, NY 10451

Tel: (212) 344-1000

*By Appointment Only



1002 Dean St
Brooklyn, NY 11238

Tel: (516) 410-4445

*By Appointment Only